Sunday, May 3, 2015

Food - Kärntner Reinling

I love both traditional (Austrian) food and exotic dishes. Through some good friends of mine I discovered a Carinthian cake traditionally made around Easter called "Kärntner Reinling" - the name comes from Rein = old German word for pan or pot. It's basically a sweet yeast dough, filled with granulated sugar, cinnamon and raisins and rolled up and baked in a ring cake baking pan. Most Carinthians will scream bloody murder but I love to add some ground nuts - mostly what I find at home, be it walnuts or hazelnuts. Ever since I made it for the first time a few years ago my Dad, who has something like a sweet tooth, asks me to make it every year. Well, this year I'm a little behind time-wise but decided to make it today as we were heading over to my parents' for a family lunch. It's best eaten almost fresh out of the oven and it was still warm inside when we had it as dessert today. Yummmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment